The Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia employs around 110 staff members in Switzerland and various regions around the world who are dedicated to promoting Swiss arts and culture.
Pro Helvetia runs a regional liaison office in Cairo, which is mandated to support projects in the Arab region. To support the office, we are seeking, by 1 March 2022 or by arrangement, a
Programme Manager (60 to 80%)
Pro Helvetia Cairo promotes artistic and cultural exchange between Switzerland and the Arab region. To raise awareness of Swiss culture around the world, we forge ties with the local creative and cultural sector in the region, develop and nurture long-term partnerships, initiate co-productions with artists from the regions concerned and organise residencies.
We are seeking a dedicated professional, rooted in the arts, with profound knowledge of local and regional cultural contexts and proven experience in the design, execution and management of arts and cultural programmes. A high level of knowledge of current trends in the Arab region is essential for this role.
The Programme Manager is responsible for programming in one or more main art disciplines (music and/or literature and/or design and/or visual arts and/or performing arts), including associated activities such as residencies and research trips.
• Designing the strategy and framework of the office’s programme for the disciplines concerned (music and/or literature and/or design and/or visual arts and/or performing arts).
• Developing programmes, concepts and plans for an initial set of joint projects and other forms of collaboration, involving partners from Switzerland and Arab countries.
• Identifying potential partners and mapping relevant networks in the Arab region for engagement with the Swiss art scene, with due consideration given to already existing relationships (venues, festivals, biennials, museums, independent cultural spaces, collectives, cultural/creative businesses, other platforms).
• Ensuring that the grant application process via the Pro Helvetia system is in place and working well, and communicating with the colleagues responsible at Pro Helvetia Zurich.
• Adjudicating proposals submitted by artists and partners from the region in consultation with Pro Helvetia Zurich and the head of Pro Helvetia Cairo.
• Ensuring the legal conformity of contracting, payment and other processes for each project, evaluating each project and initiating projects in the region.
• Monitoring and assessing the implementation and budgets of joint projects and providing support when necessary.
• Ensuring that all projects are well communicated, in collaboration with communication manager.
• Representing Pro Helvetia vis-à-vis regional cultural institutions as well as artists and funders in the region.
What you bring along
• Work experience and a strategic perspective (programme design and management) in arts and culture, especially in music and/or literature and/or design and/or visual arts and/or performing arts.
• Knowledge of and insight into the regional arts scenes and current trends in the Arab region.
• A network of relevant stakeholders in the Arab region.
• Knowledge and experience of the Swiss arts scene would be an advantage, but is not a requirement.
• Substantial experience in the execution and management of arts and cultural projects, including financial administration (as a freelance cultural manager and/or in an organisational/institutional context).
• Adapted to the Egyptian context and up to date with social and political developments in the Arab region in general.
• A high level of linguistic proficiency and excellent command of English and Arabic; a good knowledge of French is a plus.
• Assertive, with a clear vision, enthusiastic and action-oriented, eager to develop, to realise new ideas and to take the initiative.
• Highly developed organisational, communication and intercultural skills.
• Flexibility with work schedules and willingness to participate in evening and weekend events.
What we offer
A position in a dynamic, cultural, national and international environment as well as room for personal initiative and responsibility. You will work up to 4 days a week, which corresponds to a workload of up to 80% (60% to 80%, depending on experience) for a limited duration of 12 months, with the option to renew the contract. We pay a salary in line with your knowledge and experience and based on salary scale. Your place of work is the Pro Helvetia office in Cairo.
How to apply
Send your full application in English (CV, cover letter, diplomas/reference letters – preferably in 3 files) to email@example.com by 15 January 2022 under the email subject “Application Programme Manager Cairo – your name”. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
PRO HELVETIA CAIRO
Swiss Arts Council
c/o Embassy of Switzerland
10, Abdel Khaleq Tharwat Street