The Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia employs around 110 staff members in Switzerland and various regions around the world dedicated to promoting Swiss arts and culture.
The Foundation runs a regional liaison office in Cairo, which is mandated to support projects in the Arab world. To support the office, we are searching, by 1 January or by arrangement, a
Communications Manager 60 – 80%
Pro Helvetia Cairo promotes artistic and cultural exchange between Switzerland and the Arab region. To raise awareness of Swiss culture around the world, we forge ties with the local creative and cultural sector in the region, develop and nurture long-term partnerships, initiate co-productions with artists from the regions concerned and organise residencies.
We are seeking a dedicated communications professional, rooted in the arts with profound knowledge of the local and regional cultural contexts who ideally has worked for a cultural institution before and is preferably based in the Arab region. Knowledge of and experience in the literature sector will be a plus, allowing the Communications Manager to also manage the Cairo office’s literature program (20% of the time).
- Lead the development and execution of Pro Helvetia Cairo’s communication strategy. (Develop existing communication channels and integrate new innovative tools into the strategy; organise/host/plan activities.)
- Plan, organize and implement the annual communications agenda, both on the strategic and the operational level in collaboration with the Head of Pro Helvetia Cairo and the Communications Manager in Zurich. This includes the production of newsletters and social media posts, timely updates of the website and the RSS.
- Develop content for the website, newsletter, social media and occasional publications in both English and Arabic.
- Build relationships with the press within the Arab region and manage enquiries.
- Counterpart for translators and design services.
- Plan and monitor the communications budget.
For the Literature Program, if applicable (20%)
- Design the strategy and framework for the office’s literature program.
- Identify potential partners in the region.
- Initiate, plan, monitor and assess joint projects and budgets.
What you bring along
- Professional communications background with knowledge of the local and regional context and ideally work experience in a cultural institution.
- Knowledge of and insight into the regional art scenes and a network of relevant stakeholders (in communications) in the Arab region.
- High level of linguistic proficiency and excellent command of English and Arabic; a good knowledge of French is a plus.
- Knowledge in digital communications including social media and experience in developing content using image editing and web design software (WordPress, CreateSend, InDesign, Adobe Photoshop).
- Assertive, has a clear vision, enthusiastic and action-oriented, eager to develop and realise new ideas and take the initiative
- Capable of working in a team.
- Adapted to the Egyptian context and up to date with the social-political developments in the Arab region in general.
What we offer
This position in a dynamic, cultural, national as well as international environment, offers room for personal initiative and responsibility. You will work 3-4 workdays a week, which corresponds to a workload of up to 80% (up to 60% to manage communications and 20% to manage the literature program) for a determined duration of 12 months with the option to renew the contract. We pay a salary in function of your knowledge and experience. The office of Pro Helvetia and your place of work is in Cairo.
How to apply
Send your full application in English (CV, cover letter, diplomas/reference letters, samples of written materials in both English and Arabic – preferably in 4 files) to email@example.com until 27th of October 2021 under the email subject “Application Communications Manager Cairo – your name”. Kindly note that incomplete applications cannot be considered.