The Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia employs around 110 staff members in Switzerland and various regions around the world dedicated to promoting Swiss arts and culture.
The Foundation runs a regional liaison office in Cairo, which is mandated to support projects in the Arab world.
We are appointing as of 1st of July 2021 or by arrangement a
HEAD OF PRO HELVETIA CAIRO / ARAB WORLD (100%)
You will be responsible for the general management (conceptual as well as administrative and financial) of the liaison office, supervise 5 employees, working in close cooperation with and report to our head office in Zurich, Switzerland.
You will manage and strategically develop Pro Helvetia’s activities in Egypt and the Arab world, develop and monitor the office’s annual programme, process applications in all art disciplines (except film) in collaboration with the specialists at our head office in Switzerland, as well as ensure the accurate reporting on the office’s activities. You will build new and expand the office’s existing networks within the arts sector in Egypt, Arab countries and Switzerland and maintain relations with other foreign arts councils, Swiss representations (Swiss embassies and consulates) and regional arts and cultural bodies. You will promote, stimulate and support (in cooperation with cultural actors and partners from the region) artistic/cultural projects with Swiss content as well as cultural exchange activities with Swiss and Arab participants and the Arab region and be responsible for the financial administration of such projects. You will oversee the communication strategy of the office. You will moreover contribute your knowledge on the region and critical insights to the further development of Pro Helvetia’s global activities, in dialogue with your peers within the organisation in Switzerland and around the world.
The profile we are looking for:
- University degree or equivalent education.
- Competence in conceptual thinking and willingness to take on responsibility, excellent communication and networking skills Experience in cultural project management and administrative work, including expertise in financial management and accounting.
- Thorough knowledge of the contemporary cultural scenes in Egypt and the Arab world and professional experience within at least one artistic discipline.
- Familiarity with the international (incl. European) art environment and strong cross-cultural sensibilities.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Arabic (written and spoken), knowledge of German and/or French is an asset.
- Experience with the production of cultural events.
- Experience in personnel management, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills and willingness to work hands-on.
- Willingness to work irregular hours (evenings and weekends) and travel for business.
How to apply:
Send your full application in English (CV, 1-page motivation letter, diplomas/reference letters – preferably in 3 files) and at least two contactable references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 20th of January 2021. Include the email subject “Head Cairo”. Kindly note that incomplete applications will be disregarded. A confirmation letter that the application is received will be sent. Please note our data protection regulations before you apply.
Pro Helvetia is committed to diversity and equal opportunities in its teams. We promote professional equality of all genders and lifestyles. We are therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from people with a different social and cultural background who are not yet part of Pro Helvetia.